Friday, August 31, 2012

Axed by Tax

I was flipping through some information along with a cup of tea in the morning, and came across something that made me read it twice. It says that there are 8 countries where the citizens do not have to pay any income tax at all. A knock on the door disturbed me, from further exploring the details on that. I opened the door and the watchman handed over a slip to me which detailed the property tax due that I am supposed to pay. Argh! Now, how irritating was that?                                                
                                                 It really annoys me when I think about all the kinds of taxes( any thing that we do has some or the other tax component to it) that we pay and few us are even more scared of the word tax itself. Many of us do not even know how many different taxes we end up paying directly or indirectly. And most of us, do not even question or bother about it. We all know that the central and state governments of India are the authorities that levy tax. But, do we know that there are close to 13 different types of taxes levied by the central govt and 19 different types of taxes by the state govt apart from some minor taxes which go through the municipalities? It really was disappointing to know that there are so many types of taxes axing our hard earned money. I am not against paying tax, but then I have to know that the taxes are being put to good use, for the development of the nation. Every citizen should get to know as to where and how the tax paid by him/her is being spent. Therefore, I have decided to inquire and understand about the tax that I pay every time. Let us be more aware of the taxes that we are paying on various spends. That's the least that we can do to start off with. And, eventually we can bring in some change in the way we look at and pay the taxes. I certainly cannot dream of India joining the league of those 8 nations where there is no income tax, but we certainly can work towards having our taxes utilized for the betterment of the nation. Hope to see an India where the tax payers are happy and not axed for every transaction. Jaago Kardata Jaago!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

rest all taxes i might nt bother but ask d government to ban income tax... :p