Monday, May 24, 2021

Coping with the covistress.

                         It is very imperative that you keep a tab on your mental health always in order to maintain an overall balance to your well being. There are many factors which cause so much of unwanted stress if not dealt with properly. With this ongoing pandemic, there is another such stress and I would call it covistress. Yes, the stress caused due to covid-19. It might sound silly to some of us, but it has caused a significant amount of stress to a majority of population across the world over the past few months. We have to be very careful and not let the covistress take control and affect us. This could induce nagging thoughts in mind which most of the times are overly negative and unproductive. Many of us can be innovative when it comes to finding ways to deal with stress. Instead of jotting them as some tips to overcome the covistress, I would like to tell what I did to overcome this covistress, anxiety issues and I hope that it might help some of you to find a start point. 

                                                                                                    Because of the impact this pandemic is causing to the world, it is evident that all focus would be to deal with it or to end it and hence this would be the headline of any news irrespective of the medium. I have consciously distanced myself from all such sources of covid news. I might inadvertently come across the covid news at some time through the day, but I make a conscious effort and train my mind to not dig deep into it or indulge into the details. It is good to keep myself informed but at times this seems to be an overdose of covid information causing unwanted stress and anxiety issues affecting the mind. So, I have limited my attention to the news on TV, internet, Whatsapp to as minimum as possible. 

        I have decided upon giving adequate rest to my body. No, I do not mean to sleep for the majority of the day but whenever possible I take smaller naps during the day to limit the traffic of thoughts to my mind. I feel much more relaxed after every such nap and it feels like meditation to me. I felt a huge drop in the anxiety levels after these powerful pleasant naps. 

I was not so inclined towards physical fitness before the pandemic, I guess the amount of physical activity involved in going to work and going out on a regular basis was enough to burn some calories. I am now working from home and a certain laziness seems to have crept in over this period. I have started exercising and I can tell you that I am feeling very good about it.This is helping me ward off the covistress by simulating my mental health every time I get closer to maintaining my physical health. Unimaginable, but I have now set some fitness goals and maybe this is occupying space in my mind leaving none for the covistress. 

I am very used to socializing with friends and I find it hard to not meet any friends and stay at home during the lockdown. We are social animals and restricting our social gatherings due to the covid-19 pandemic also attributes to covistress. Video calls have come to the rescue and I am spending time talking to all my friends over a couple of drinks every weekend, maybe we could call it an online party. Though it is over a video call, it gives me a feeling of being connected and leaves me happier. 

With so much being talked about health and limited options of eating out, I guess we have no choice but to eat the home made food. I have started eating healthy home cooked meals in alignment to the fitness goals that I have set for myself. I have also learnt a few recipes and cooked some meals myself and it appears to bust the covistress by giving me a feeling of accomplishment(I think I am getting ready to participate in the next season of masterchef contest).  

And finally it all boils down to how good you keep yourself entertained during these tough times that matters in dealing with covistress or any kind of stress. I took up to reading again given the extra time that I get due to the work from home setup. I have also started watching movies and endless web series of Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. Undoubtedly, listening to music while working out or cooking a delicious meal can only add to the power to combat the covistress. 

                            All these little tips have put me in a happier space and make me feel content. I do not feel anxious anymore and feel more balanced in my thoughts. It is not so easy for many of us, but a conscious effort can go a long way in dealing with the covistress and thereby stay happy and optimistic of the future. Please feel free to share your ideas if any to effectively overcome the covistress in the comments below and maybe that will help someone in need of it.

No comments: